12.11.2013

room by room :: boys' bedroom

Before we even broke ground, I started gathering ideas and created a design board for each room. Often, my inspiration is sparked by a fabric that I find (or have in my stash). For the boys' bedroom, I started with an awesome orange slubby linen that I had left over from a previous job, some art and accessories gathered over time and this very cool bed that I found on Pinterest.
The style of this bed was perfect for the "streamlined rustic" look I was trying to achieve. I knew it was a DIY project I could easily tackle and I loved the idea that each boy would have his own reading light.
I had about 3 yards of this slubby linen in a great orange color that I used as the jumping off point for the accent color used throughout the room.
After deciding on the accent color, I pulled the rest of the color scheme together with neutrals that were a variation of the basic khaki and black. I wanted the walls and bed color to have an olive tone and the black to be a softer iron color, kind of charcoal. I chose Benjamin Moore's Camouflage for the walls, Creekside Green for the beds and Raccoon Fur for the chest of drawers & nightstands. Then for painted items in the accent color, I used Orange Blossom.
Both boys love hunting and fishing so I ran with that. Some of the accents I planned to use were a vintage Winchester poster, a group of fish prints in simple frames, a couple of unfinished wooden boat oars that I found at a local marine supply store for $19 each and this "warehouse" style pendant from Home Depot that was a great bargain!

Hampton Bay 1-Light Warehouse Pendant $29.88 :: Home Depot
While I loved the style, the brushed nickel finish didn't quite jive with the rest of the room. So I broke out every DIYer's best friend...spray paint. A quick once-over with steel wool to rough up the surface and a couple of coats of Rust-Oleum's Soft Iron spray paint and it was perfect.
Furniture for the room consisted of the beds (I constructed two queens for this room), a nightstand that just needed a color change, a desk and two Tarva chests from Ikea for just $99 each! These have clean lines, are solid pine and are so versatile (there are tons of hacks all over the web). They were also the perfect size for the space and made it possible for each boy to have his own.
Tarva Chest with 5 Drawers $99 each :: Ikea
 As for bedding, I found these great blankets at Target from their Threshold line in a gray pickstick.
Queen Threshold Organic Blanket in Gray Pickstitch $38.99 each :: Target
I had also previously scored a clearance deal on two striped throws from West Elm. I think I bought them before we even had walls, but a deal is a deal... and they had the exact colors and feel that I wanted for the room. For the window treatments, I've sewn simple roman shades in white cotton duck fabric with the soft iron color as an accent. 

In my next post, I'll show you the completed room and how its all come together...

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

C7JF48J76TDK
SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Lemongrass Interiors | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template made by pipdig