12.11.2013

diy :: bubble chandelier

Wow! I just realized how long its been since my last post, but I promise I've been a busy bee. I hope you've been tracking our progress over on the #barnhouse blog... Here's a recent post of a fun DIY project that is a crowd favorite~

If you've taken a look at my Pinterest inspiration board, you may have seen this super adorable bubble chandelier by Pelle.
I thought it would be perfect for the third bedroom which serves as a little girl's room and doubles as a guest bedroom. Its whimsical and modern at the same time -- fun for a child without being too juvenile. I think the original was about $395 (completely reasonable knowing what it takes to produce a light fixture for resale), however that wasn't in the budget, so I did a little research. Turns out, CB2 sells glass balls in two sizes and they already have a little hole in them which is perfect for inserting the wire holders. Here's what I used:

  • five of the large glass balls ($3.95 each)
  • seven of the small glass balls ($1.95 each)
  • a white canopy kit from Home Depot ($7)
  • two packs of candelabra base keyless sockets ($4 each)
  • white lamp wire
  • two packs of 4" candle socket covers ($2 each)
  • one pack of four 40W candelabra base bulbs ($6)
  • cotton twine (I already had this)
  • paperclips
  • glue gun & glue sticks
I started by making the wire holders. The wire that I had was a little too light, so I used paperclips instead. The wire is stiff and also thin enough to get through the hole. You'll need to clip the paperclips with wire snips and use only the straight sections. Bend/twist the pieces to make a loop and then bend each end down so the ends of the wire won't scratch the glass.

Before inserting the wire in the hole, I tied the twine onto the clip. Slide the wire all the way into the hole and pull up so the holders catch.

My next step was to create four clusters of the glass balls and braid those together. As I created each cluster, I held them up and varied the lengths of the twine.

Now, I measured lengths of the white lamp wire. I made mine about 24" so that I could have plenty of slack to trim after I assembled the fixture. We have 10' ceilings, so I wanted the finished height of the chandelier to be about 18". Then I wired each socket. This is a fairly simple step (instructions are on the package and everywhere online), but if you're not sure, its a good idea to "phone a friend" here.

I added the wired sockets to each of the glass balls clusters, again varying the lengths. Then I wound the braided twine around and up the lamp cord, securing along the way with dots of hot glue. In the photo below, I have the bulb already screwed in. I need to add the extra step of the socket covers, which have to be trimmed and slipped on before the bulb is put in. I added another little detail (although in reality you can't see it after the chandelier is up) -- I wrapped about half of the socket cover in twine and continued it up the wire to meet the other twine braid.

I then gathered the four clusters together, adjusting the length along the way. The goal is to make it look effortlessly irregular -- kind of like creating the perfect messy up-do (that in reality takes 30 min and half a can of hairspray :))

Now the next step is where I needed some help (did I mention that thankfully my fiance is a master electrician??) . You'll need to wire the four lamp wires together and through the ceiling canopy kit. Again, there are instructions on the package and online. After it was all wired together, I needed to join the clusters together. I chose to braid lengths of twine together and then wind those up the lamp wires. You'll want to get this pretty tight, so I secured the four wires with floral wire, then wound the braided twine securing it along the way with dots of hot glue. I'll say, the braids on the original fixture are much neater than mine, but when its installed, you don't notice the irregularities quite so much.

This is my finished fixture and I'm thrilled with the results. It is also everyone's favorite -- even the men! The light sparkles through the clear glass balls and literally makes people smile the minute we flip the switch.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
SHARE:

2 comments:

© Lemongrass Interiors | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template made by pipdig